Click here to download the pdf version of Block D’s class Wordle of Words of Kindness. Everyone will be receiving their personal Wordle of compliments soon!
Welcome to English 9 with Ms Ikeda! Class meets in Block D in RoomA319.
In order to start off this semester on the right foot, please make sure that you are prepared for all lessons with the required supplies and a positive mindset. Please visit here to see my Class Expectations and the supplies list.
Check back often to see important announcements and interesting stories on the Home page and homework reminders on this page.
Updated on 2016 01 21
Current Unit and Essential Questions: Persuasive Essay
This Week’s Learning Targets:
- I can write a multi-paragraph essay in which I state my opinion and give strong reasons and details to back up my point of view.
- I can write a thesis statement that clearly argues my opinion on a topic.
- I can write using standard conventions of spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- I can edit and refine my work independently.
- Practice key terms from learning targets sheets for final exam on Jan. 22.
- Final examination (multiple choice – literary terms, reading comprehension) on Friday Jan. 22.
Past Due Homework:
- Think of personal motto (Due 2015 09 09)
- Remember teacher’s and classmates’ names (Due 2015 09 11)
- Get Technology Consent form and Essential Agreement signed and return to Ms Ikeda (Due 2015 09 11)
- Bring an advertisement or poster that is designed well (Due 2015 09 14)
- Have all supplies in class (Due 2015 09 15)
- Finish Day 1 Must Dos. Hard copy (paper copy) of My Personal Motto paragraph needed in class (Due 2015 09 17)
- Get vaccination form filled out and signed (Due 2015 09 18)
- Infographic sent to Ms Ikeda (Due 2015 09 18 by 11:59pm)
- Organize and label duotang and binder (Due 2015 09 21, or you must stay after school to finish)
- Finish metaphor poem about yourself (Due 2015 09 22)
- Study for poetic devices quiz: identity and provide examples of 8 poetic devices (Due 2015 09 24)
- Finish metaphor, “I’m From” and ode poetry (Due 2015 09 29)
- Bring a paper copy of a set of song lyrics or a poem that is about identity (2015 10 01)
- Be in class ready for the Terry Fox Run by 1:35pm on 2015 10 02
- Finish drafts of 7 types of poems (2015 10 01)
- Poetic devices redo quiz for students with 8/12 or less (Friday 2015 10 02 at lunch in A319)
- Get HW note signed and return with completed homework (Due 2015 09 24)
- Bring $2 for Terry Fox Run and Welcome BBQ (Due 2015 10 01)
- Complete Poem Analysis sheet for “What Do I Remember of the Evacuation?” (Due 2015 10 06)
- Poetry anthology (Due 2015 10 13)
- Teen magazine report on Act I scene i (Due 2015 10 21)
- Act II vocabulary sheet (Due 2015 10 26)
- Add Act II vocabulary words and meanings to duotang (Due 2015 10 27)
- Complete and submit all late work by 2015 10 30
- Complete Act III vocabulary (Due 2015 10 30)
- Act III quiz (2015 11 02)
- Work on Act III questions, police report, climax (Due 2015 11 02)
- Act IV and V quiz with vocab (2015 11 16)
- Complete Act IV and V vocab sheets (Due 2015 11 16) – Click HERE for answers
- Complete literary analysis paragraph topic sentence, Supporting Your Idea and Tying Together Your Ideas sheets (Due 2015 11 17)
- Finish first draft of literary analysis paragraph (Due 2015 11 18)
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream character displays due 2015 11 20. In-class presentations on 2015 11 20.
- Complete peer evaluation for A Midsummer Night’s Dream group display project (Due 2015 11 23)
- bring favourite children’s book and practice read-aloud (Due 2015 11 25)
- Vocab section of MSND quiz redo at lunch on Wednesday in A319. Only chance to redo.
- Complete Short Story Review Form for one children’s story from your group (Due 2015 11 26)
- Quiz on short story terms on 2015 11 27
- complete Learning Targets sheet for MSND, get signed by parents and return for marks (Due 2015 11 27)
- Read “The Father” in Inside Stories I by 2015 12 02 (Wednesday). There will be a short quiz on it.
- Complete Short Story Review Form on Yertle the Turtle (Due 2015 12 02)
- Complete Character Sketch planning sheet for in-class write (Due 2015 12 03)
- Complete short story review form on “The Father” (Due 2015 12 03)
- Read “Barney.” There will be a short quiz on it (Due 2015 12 04)
- Complete “Barney” vocabulary sheet (Due 2015 12 04)
- Complete Responding Creatively task for “Barney” (7 – 2 diary entries OR 8 – webpage)
- Complete narrative essay planning sheet (Due 2015 12 09)
- Read Stargirl pages 1-21 (Due 2015 12 14)
- Read Stargirl pg. 22-42. Quick quiz on 12/15/15
- Read Stargirl pages 43-61. Quick quiz on 2015 12 16.
- Read Stargirl pages 62-94. Quick quiz on 2015 12 17.
- Read Stargirl pages 95-125. Quick quiz on 2015 12 18.
- Bring Short Story Unit Learning Targets sheet back, completed and signed (Due 2015 12 18)
- Finish reading Stargirl (2016 01 04)
- Work on Stargirl Movie Adaptation Project. (Click on link for planning and instruction package: Stargirl Movie Audience Demographics). 2016 01 04 will be a work block. Completed project is due 2016 01 05 (Tuesday). NOTE: The storyboard section in the package is another bonus opportunity. However, the Chapter 13 storyboard from class this week is a required part of the project and is due with the project.
- Work on Chapter 13 storyboard. Due with Stargirl project on 2016 01 05 (Tuesday).
- Complete essay planning sheet on your views on cell phones in the classroom (Due 2016 01 08)
- Write draft of three body paragraphs for persuasive essay. Each paragraph should be on a different piece of paper (Due 2016 01 11)
- Write introduction and conclusion of persuasive essay. Double spaced on separate pieces of paper. The first draft of the essay should be completed for tomorrow’s class (Due 2016 01 12)
- Complete 2 preparation sheets for the Cross Grade (Due 2016 01 13)
- Complete all preparation sheets for the Cross Grade (Due 2016 01 14)
- Organize your binder for the Cross Grade (Due 2016 01 14)
- Bring 2+ blue or black pens, completed notes to the Cross Grade on Thursday 2016 01 14.
- Cross Grade written examination on Thursday Jan. 14.
- Plan and practice performance assignment. Performances are in class on Jan. 20-21.
Past Learning Targets:
- I can define and give examples of the words: positive, observant, considerate
- I can identify every member of the class by name
- I can organize my classwork in my binder, duotang and on Google Drive
- I can create a poster/infographic that is visually appealing and informative
- I can write several different forms of poetry and skilfully incorporate poetic devices to engage my readers.
- I can read poetry and use reading strategies to understand the content.
- I can connect several poems to the main themes of English 9: identity and perspectives.
- I can integrate quotations from poetry in my writing to show evidence of my opinion.
- I can describe all of the important characters and plot points of A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- I can identify and explain the connection between several key quotes and the themes of the play
- I can work collaboratively with classmates in activities, discussions and project work
- I can recognize how different forms of text reflect different purposes, audiences and messages.
- I can identify the key elements of a range of stories including character, setting, plot, points of view, conflict and theme.
- I can analyze a character using direct and indirect evidence from the text.
- I can write interesting dialogue and punctuate it correctly.
- I can write a multi-paragraph narrative essay with compelling story elements.
- I can compare and contrast two things in a Venn diagram with several thoughtful points in each section.
- I can read and interpret charts, graphs and statistics for useful information.
- I can identify the key elements of a story including character, setting, plot, points of view, conflict and theme.
- I can present my ideas in a careful and organized manner that is error-free and suited to its purpose.