In ELL Beginner 1, we are focusing on learning phonics, building vocabulary and developing reading, writing and speaking skills. Students will learn about practical and cultural aspects of Canadian life. We will also be going on weekly excursions in the community to help us learn by experience.
ELL 1 is in Periods 1 and 2 in D204. We have three peer tutors in our period 2 class: Kristin and Daniela.
On this page, you will find information about future plans, what we learned and what homework assignments are due. Please check back often!
Updated on 12/02/14
We had a very enjoyable visit to the City Centre Library. The students returned their books and had free time to browse for new book, CD and DVD selections. We chose a few DVDs and CDs to enjoy in the classroom. I also shared one of my favourite stories from childhood: Angela’s Airplane by Robert Munsch.
We will be adding homework time to our class schedule every P2. Please bring your textbooks and homework from other classes to work on during this period. Daniela and Kristin will be helping us understand and complete homework so you can be successful in your other classes too.
- Bring snacks to share with the class (12/03/14)
- Isaac – letter package (11/27/14)
- Study for Friday spelling tests (every Friday)
This week, we learned about:
- Remembrance Day
- New sentence structure: We remember soldiers on Remembrance Day. We play soccer on Sunday. We bake cookies on Wednesday
- Writing birthday cards and get well soon cards
- Provinces and territories of Canada and their capital cities
- Phonics: ay (May I play?), ee (What can you see?)
- Writing paragraphs about yourself using a template
- What are you doing? Are you busy?
- Possessive adjectives: my, your, his, her, its, their, our
- Verbs: What is a verb? I am ___ing…
- Imperative/instruction sentences
- Writing a set of instructions
- Writing a recipe